Student Advisors at BCIS
The Advisor occupies a unique and important role in the structure of BCIS Secondary School. The Advisor is primarily responsible for the support and pastoral well-being of the students in their Advisory group, and therefore should be included in all matters related to their students’ (e.g. successes & failures, achievements and concerns, issues regarding friendship, study skills, homework, behavior, discipline etc.). Communication with parents and with faculty is a key feature of the Advisor’s role. The Advisor also works with their advisory group during registration and advisory periods.
General Duties include:
- Welcoming the students from 8:10am, and ensuring a positive start to the school day
- Building positive relationships with and between students, celebrating student successes and helping students to find solutions to issues and/or concerns
- Advocating for and on behalf of students in the advisory group
- Monitoring student well-being, successes, achievements, behavior and disciplinary concerns
- Liaising with subject teachers and, where necessary, with the Middle or High School Counsellors and Learning Support Department on issues concerning students in the advisory group
- Communicating directly with the IB DP and IB MYP Coordinators about concerns/issues related to each students success/difficulties in meeting program expectations.
- Reporting disciplinary issues to the Secondary School Principal
- Communicating regularly with parents about student successes and/or concerns, and if necessary, arranging meetings with parents and/or faculty to resolve concerns
Arrival of New Students:
- Working through the New Student Checklist (see below)
- Advisors should ensure that New Students are guided through the checklist within 7 days of arrival at BCIS
During the registration period (8:15 – 8:30 each morning) the advisor will meet with their Advisory Group to complete the following:
- Recording attendance electronically
- Organising duties and routines with the students (including paper recycling, announcing daily bulletin messages, student locker management, arrangement of furniture, student buddy systems, monitoring dress code etc.)
- Giving information and announcements to students
- Keeping electronic records including absence notes, late slips, locker numbers etc.
- Ensuring appropriate materials (official letters etc.) are distributed to students
These periods are scheduled every Wednesday from 8:30 – 9:20am and Friday from 2.40–3:30pm and sessions will be planned with the Grade Level Facilitator and other advisors.
- Working with the Grade Level Facilitator to deliver the Advisory Program
- Liaising with the Grade Level Facilitator, Counsellor, Secondary Principal and Deputy Principal and other advisors to develop the Advisory Program for the assigned Grade Level/Advisory Group
Reporting Duties include:
- Writing an Advisor comment on progress and achievement reports
- Contacting parents at least once every two weeks by e-mail or phone to provide update (positive and negative)
- Generating progress reports on students (when faculty or family request it)
- Issuing reports to students
Discussing reports and guiding students through a reflection process